Thursday, April 8, 2021

American Mine Road Boondocking

  American Mine never amounted to much – just one shaft and no activity since 1940 but the road to the mine led us to a great boondocking spot. And a mystery – why is there a pile of taconite pellets in the Mojave Desert?
  This is another boondocking spot where it’s easy to accidentally end up on private land because of the blocks of private land in the middle of large swathes of BLM land. We may have gone just a bit too far south on a dirt road off of American Mine Road and crossed the BLM boundary.
  The network of dirt roads are too soft for wheelchairs but would be fine for hiking. Some traffic noise that dies down at night. BLM   34.44173, -115.74246

6 comments:

  1. When I'm in that area I usually overnight in the Amboy Crater overflow lot. The only down side is the train traffic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of going there but wanted a quieter spot. Are there usually other RVers there running generators?

      Delete
    2. Of the four times I've stayed there, I was alone three times. The one time with an RV nearby, I have no memory of generator noise.

      Delete