Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Crested Butte Mountain Heritage Museum

004
  Crested Butte was a coal mining town for 70 years. After the mine closed in the 1950s the town was rapidly losing population but, with the opening of a ski resort in 1960 and with the popularity of mountain biking, it’s become a destination for outdoor enthusiasts. Crested Butte is typical of other tourist towns with restaurants and shops lining the main street.  Even though fires swept through the town several times, many of the buildings date from the 1880s. Forty two buildings are including in a walking tour.The paved road ends just past town so this is a one way trip unless you have four wheel drive. The 28 mile road is very scenic, traveling through a valley that is half ranch land, half country estates.
003
  The museum is housed in a general store that was in operation from 1883 to 1996. All of the old fixtures are still in place including the pot belly stove. The first part of the museum is free and starts in the store. A $4.00 fee is is charged to see the rest which is pretty small.
            010
  A high threshold is at the store entrance. A ramp leads to the second part of the museum. The main street in Crested Butted is the only street with sidewalks. They’re in good condition but most of the shops have steps up to the entrances.
              011
  A small parking lot is located behind the museum. Short RVs and vans will fit. Larger RVs can be parked along the street.

  Don’t miss the dragon and knight sculpture as you come into town! Museum
38.86979, -106.98434
               018
              colorado1

4 comments:

  1. Karen,

    I know you have LOTS of Google Maps stuff. Just wanted to be sure that you heard about the new google maps that they are testing. I got an invite to try it, and I like it, but so far all of the "My Maps" are only in the older version. I have a couple of screen shots on my recent blog post. Just wanted to be sure you knew about it...I would think you would be prime for an invite if you have not already got one.

    Dave (Marcia and Bubba and Skruffy)
    GoingRvWay.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that I must have gotten an invite because I remember looking at the information but I didn't sign up for several reasons. I think that the photos on the bottom while useful will make the maps load very slowly especially if your internet connection isn't good. Also it looks like a fairly new, upgraded computer will be necessary to use the maps which might make them inaccessible for some people.

    One other thing, and I might be wrong here, I thought that I saw something about signing up for Google + which I don't want to do. Did you have to sign up for Google + ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about Google +, I stay away from it, don't see a need for it, don't like it. As for the speed of the new maps, it does take perhaps two seconds more to load using our Verizon aircard...not due to the pictures which don't load until you put in a location, or click on the arrow asking for it....then it takes another 3-5 seconds from clicking on arrow that they pop up. So yes, bandwidth is a issue, but not one which is not workable from what I have seen. Also, since it is beta, there is chance to offer opinion to Google...I already barked at them about not having the "my places" feature in the maps and told them how important it is to us travelers who blog.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the added info! Let me know how you like it after you've used it for awhile. It's so easy to get used to one way of doing things and to not want to change even if something else is better. But that's the tough part to decide on - is it really better? :-)

    ReplyDelete