Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Museum of Cape Fear

IMG_8428

  Fayetteville was settled by Scottish Highlanders in the late 1700s as a frontier outpost and the second largest town in North Carolina. It served as a trading center for goods shipped on the Cape Fear River to and from coastal Wilmington. Many of the Highlands remained loyal to the British government and fought against the Patriots during the Revolutionary War. The town also played a role in the Civil War. A federal arsenal, captured by the Confederates, supplied arms and munitions to the Confederate soldiers.  The arsenal was destroyed by Sherman’s army in 1865 at the end of the war. The small museum covers this early history and other events with artifacts and nicely done exhibits.

IMG_8426

IMG_8429

         IMG_8430

  Besides the museum visitors may also tour the arsenal grounds and a house built in 1897 by a local businessman. Guided tours of the house are offered everyday but Monday. Guided tours of the arsenal grounds are offered on Friday. We did not have time for either.

IMG_8435

  The museum is accessible but the exhibit on riverboats has very steep ramps. A ramp accesses the first floor of the house. To view the arsenal grounds follow the brick path through the back yard of the house.

  The parking lot is large enough for RVs if parked across the spaces or backed up over the grass.  Museum  35.05454, -78.89292 

north carolina1

5 comments:

  1. Looks like a nice museum...

    You said " We did not have time for either". For a long time I really didn't understand how that could happen, I mean you're retired, you have nothing but time!
    On our trip out west this summer "life" just sucked up time! There were places we didn't get to because "We did not have time".
    I couldn't understand it...
    I'm sitting here in Georgia with a calendar in front of me, we have reservations at a park in Florida for next week. I have "leave NLT" dates marked on that calendar for both now & making it to the RTR in Quartzsite this year. But again I ask myself "I'm retired, how can I not have time to see what I want to see this trip?"

    I don't have an answer but I do have "leave NLT" dates on my calendar! :-)

    See you guys down the road!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FWIW on our trip to FL we plan on a stop at the SE GTG roving winter camp, now at Cobb Camp down by Ocean Pond which is by Lake City, FL. Good people! Cuzzen Dick is always happy to have folks drop in.

      https://www.facebook.com/SE-GTG-931565530233197/

      Cobb camp is in forest setting, I'm not sure how accessible it is...

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the link! I've been hearing about Cuzzen Dick for years - it's about time we meet him. :-) I don't think we'll make it to the Cobb Camp but I'll keep a lookout for the roving camp while we're in Florida.

      I know why we run out of time. We don't worry about anything and don't hurry anywhere and then all of the sudden it's closing time or we promised to be somewhere on a certain date and we're not even halfway there. I think back to when we were working, raising a daughter, and taking care of rental properties. How did we do that when we have a hard time doing just one thing a day now? :-D

      Delete
    3. Nice people up this way, I've been making the spring GTG (northern Ala) for a couple of years now and spent a few days down at Cobb Camp & the campground at Ocean Pond ($). Nice places.
      I'd imagine we'll see you in Quartzsite come January?
      Safe travels guys!

      Delete
    4. We're spending the winter in Florida so no RTR for us this year. We're really going to miss seeing everyone!

      The RTR last year was so much bigger than the previous year and this one looks like it's going to even bigger. Lot's of fun but be prepared!

      Delete