Monday, December 29, 2014

Back in the Land of Endless Sunsets

032

  There’s something about the sky in the southwest that makes gorgeous sunsets – brilliant reds and yellows like a blaze of fire on the horizon. This is the view from one of our favorite Texas picnic table rest stops. We love staying at these rest stops because they’re located on the back roads where we prefer to travel and they’re usually very quiet. Texas has more picnic table stops than any other state and they all allow a stay of 24 hours. Some states have similar setups -New Mexico if instance- but none has as many picnic tables as Texas and many do not allow overnight parking. Thank you Texas! 

  As far as I know there aren’t any guides or websites that list all of the picnic tables but my Rand McNally map has them. It’s fun to pick one out on the map and see what we find. Keep in mind that some are not suitable for overnighting because they’re very small and close to the road. 

texas1

5 comments:

  1. I'll see your desert sunset and raise you a costal one ;-)
    https://flic.kr/p/q8Ha7a

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-D I can't complete with that sunset!
      I haven't seen a lot of your photos. I've just been looking at the albums but I see that there are more on the photostream that aren't in albums. I'll have to wait until we have some free WiFi to look at all of them!

      Delete
    2. Yeah - sometimes I forget to put them in albums, or just don't do it if there's only a couple.

      Delete
  2. We love the area of Texas you are in. Looks like an area on route 90. We use to spend about a month every winter in the Amistad NRA. Sure do miss winters there. The fishing was great, I guess I miss that the most. Safe travels and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's the rest area that overlooks the Pecos River. We always take route 90 when we head west in the winter. I like the emptiness of the landscape but I can't imagine living in any of the little towns west of Del Rio and being so far away from any big city services.

      I keep trying to like Amistad but every time that we've stopped there it's been cold and windy. During our three day stay we had one nice day. I guess we're just hitting it at the wrong time.

      Delete