Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Plane Spotting at Gravelly Point

Planes landing on Runway 19 or taking off from Runway 1 of Ronald Reagan National Airport fly directly over the Gravelly Point so it's a popular place to watch them. The planes were taking off the day we visited but apparently when they're landing they come much closer to the ground due to the short landing strip. Either way it's a cool place to visit.
The point is accessible.

The parking lot is large enough for any vehicle. This is a good place to park for access to the Mount Vernon Trail.   Check the height restrictions on the George Washington Memorial Parkway before driving on the parkway.  38.86474, -77.04037  Gravelly Point

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to park myself at this point and watch the planes. When my son was small, sometimes we'd go early if we were picking someone up from LAX, just to park along a side road where the 747's came in to land: Right over your head! So loud! So exciting! Don't think that side road is there anymore. Fun at the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was little my dad would take us to the airport so that we could go to the roof of the terminal and watch the planes. I don't think that would be permitted anywhere now. I'm kind of surprised that we could do this in DC.

      Delete