Thursday, November 6, 2014

New Google My Maps

  Google changed their maps at the beginning of 2014 but up until recently it’s been possible to revert back to classic Google maps. Not any more!  :-(   All of my maps and I assume everyone’s maps are now the new version.  It’s going to take some time to get used to them. All of the information has been transferred over to the new maps but some of the features are missing. I’ve been able to figure out where they hid the icons and how to add links but one feature that I’ll miss is the ability to link a single placemark on a map to my blog.  Clicking on the small map at the bottom of a post no longer opens a map with a placemark highlighted by a box with information. It’s hard to find the location of the blog attraction without this feature. If anyone knows how to work around this let me know please!

4 comments:

  1. F'kn google. Oh the stories I could tell. I haven't had a chance to see what they've done to your maps, but I know they've ruined blogging for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I've been really lucky. I've seen the stories about lost posts and completely screwed up blogs but since I use LiveWriter to compose the posts I've avoided disappearing posts and when anything else gets messed up I'm usually able to fix it fairly quickly. Not these maps though! I'm really stuck about how to fix them.

      I think people have less trouble with Word Press. It's pretty easy to import your Gooogle blog into a Word Press blog if you still want to blog.

      Delete
  2. You can convert your personal experience back to classic, here:

    https://support.google.com/maps/answer/3045828?hl=en

    By clicking the switch to classic button, however, this is only on your own PC and on the specific browser you're running and will not revert it to classic for any of your visitors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Matt! How are you doing? Have you made any trips lately in the Redneck Express?

      Thanks for the information. At least I can switch back to the classic maps if it's not a map that I've made and saved. Good to know. I'll still be able to use the functions that are missing on the new maps like right click and the little man street view. It's kind of annoying to have two maps opened just to use the functions that were on the old maps.

      My saved maps will not revert back because they're missing the help question mark on the bottom right. I hope Google listens to all of the unhappy people and restores the missing functions.

      Delete