Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Alexander Springs Campground

001
   The two accessible sites in this campground are excellent with large, paved parking pads which extend under the tables and around the fire rings, grills and lantern posts. The tables have long overhangs, the fire rings have high sides, the grills are low enough to use from a seated position and the lantern posts have two hooks, one low and one high. A paved path leads to the accessible restroom/shower house. The dump station has a potable water faucet. There’s enough foliage between the sites for some degree of privacy. No electricity at the campsites.

  An accessible boardwalk starts at the swimming beach and travels through the forest about 1/3 a mile before a large tree blocks the way for wheelchair users. Shortly past the tree the boardwalk ends and the trail become sandy.
018011
  Many of the sites are long enough for larger RVs. Campground
29.07955, -81.57889

florida1

9 comments:

  1. Karen, Here at Hillsborough SP the trails are much like the ones I saw at Silver Springs SP, so I might have misjudged Silver Springs due to the wet conditions. We are going to try the GoGo on a trail later today, and will put results it in our blog. I know you all are not too far from Silver Springs, I don't want what I said to keep you from visiting it. --Dave (GoingRvWay.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We took a drive over to Silver Springs today. Tony is feeling really good and our daughter wanted to go on the glass bottom boats. (not wheelchair accessible) We tried the swamp trail and I think that your assessment was right on. We managed to do the entire loop of almost two miles but there were roots and some sections of very loose sand that would bog down a scooter. Hope the trail at Hillsborough was more accessible for Marcia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen since you changed camp location Tony must be fit as a fiddle! Gotta love that walkway! Oh man I wanna do the glass bottom boat....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he's almost completely back to normal! Laparoscopic surgery is amazing. I'm a little behind on the posts but I should have the Silver Springs one done tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. That looks like a good spot. I am finally reaching my goal this year to finish kayaking all 50 states. I love kayaking Florida. http://swankiewheels.blogspot.com/2014/02/charlene-birthday-partymay-16-2014-b.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I love your story Charlene! I've been reading your blog for a few years and I can't believe that you are almost to your goal of 50 states - wow! That is quite an accomplishment.

      Alexander Springs is a good spot and I think that you'd like Juniper Springs too. Both of the parks are beautiful.

      Delete
  5. Hi Karen and Tony,

    I can't find a way to contact you on the site, but I hope this comment finds you well. I just wanted to let you know that you were featured today on my blog, in an article called

    "Want to Travel Full-time? Here Are 5 People Who Do It."

    If you'd like to see it, you can find it at this link:

    http://www.besttraveltrailers.org/full-timers/

    Just wanted to let you know...

    All the best,
    James

    ReplyDelete