Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Witte Museum

017
  This museum has a little of everything, focusing mostly on Texas natural history, but also including an exhibit with a mummy and galleries of visiting exhibits. In the outside area, Witte Backyard, there are historic buildings which have been relocated and the Science Treehouse, a science learning center for kids.

  Most areas  are accessible. A few of the exhibits have signs that are placed too high to read. The log cabin in the outside section is a reconstruction and it has a ramp. The cabin outbuildings are not accessible.The other buildings are authentic but aren’t opened to the public. The paths are stone slabs and are not very even.The Treehouse is accessible but the observation deck has railings and fencing blocking most of the view.

  Parking is limited. Part of the parking lot was closed when we visited because of construction which limited parking even more. We could back in and hang over a grassy area but that may not be possible with a larger RV.  Witte Museum
29.4613, -98.46689
texas1

2 comments:

  1. So thankful for this blog! You are indeed a pioneer, paving the way for others with disability issues---like me! I'm a paraplegic (polio, 1950), and my heart's desire is to travel, preferably in a motorhome that I have yet to talk my husband in to purchasing!! But on a retirement income, those that are wheelchair-accessible are difficult to find! Please, please, Karen, continue with this blog! What can we do to help you? Do you take donations?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Candy,

    I'm so happy that you found my blog and that you find the information useful! Thanks for taking the time to post. It's always nice to get a little feedback.

    Keep looking for an accessible motorhome. I've seen some listed for sale that look very nice - at least in the pictures! ;)

    We're fortunate that our finances are in pretty good shape so donations aren't necessary but I would like reports on the accessibility of places that you visit if you would like to do that. I'll give you credit as a guest blogger.


    I'm having fun with this blog so I'll be continuing it for a long time. We have a lot of territory to cover.:)

    Karen

    ReplyDelete