Monday, May 27, 2019

Minivan Conversion

   Bob Wells started a blog around 2008 explaining how to live cheaply in an RV, van, or car. So many people had lost everything in the stock market crash and were looking for answers so it didn’t take long for him to gather a following. The CRVL forum (now vanliving)gave everyone a place to exchange information and offer encouragement. The establishment of the forum was followed quickly by the RTR gatherings in the desert near Quartzsite Arizona.
   From the very beginning it was apparent that many people needed help – sometimes financial, sometimes educational, and sometimes emotional. The educational help is fairly easy, the emotional help is a bit tougher and the financial help is complicated. Gofundme or personal donations can only go so far. This led to the founding of HOWA or Homes on Wheels Alliance  which was established in August 2018. HOWA will supply vehicles, training, and support to people in need. There will be a fairly rigorous application process to determine whether the program is suitable for the applicant because helping them make a successful transition into vandwelling is a top priority.

    After nine months of hard work by Bob, Suanne Carlson, and their team, HOWA is ready to start their first van build! Tony and I are camped in the Oregon forest with a group of volunteers who will be brainstorming and building a minivan into a comfortable home on wheels. We don’t know what that will involve but I think the aim is to design a very simple build with a cot and plastic bins and then design and build a more sophisticated model. Videos and documentation will allow van builders across the country build similar minivan homes.

   Making a minivan into a comfortable home sounds almost impossible but many people have done it. My favorite is this guy -  Eric Enjoys Earth
  I’ll be posting updates as the van build progresses. We may be here for month or more.

4 comments:

  1. Mini-van conversions. I've been impressed with what this guy did for some time.
    http://thegroveguy.blogspot.com/2011/06/toyota-sienna-van-conversion.html

    My (personal) problem with doing it in the mini-van was too much stuff. I did it (An '05 T&C). It was tight but it was doable.

    Here is how I did the solar in the mini-van
    http://observations-on-the-road.blogspot.com/2016/09/solar-on-mini-van.html

    You've got a group of experienced people taking a stab at it & passing the "how to" along, you will do well! I wish you luck! If I was goint to be closer I'd stop in & see if I help but our trip out west will be along the top of the country this year.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like Grove Guy is enjoying his mini-van conversion. I can't imagine two people living in such a small space though!

      What did you use for ventilation? There's not a lot of room on the roof for a vent. We found a little round one online but some reviews said that it leaked.

      Delete
  2. For ventilation I installed those front window covers that mount on the door, the rain guards. Those & an O2 fan plus the rear wing windows were it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric enjoys Earth is the best conversion I've seen. I wish I could buy the plans. Any info on how to get them?

    ReplyDelete