Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Sheltering in Place

  The first inkling that this virus was different than anything we had ever seen was the news from China on January 24 – “China rushes to build 1,000 bed hospital to treat coronavirus patients”. At that point there had been one confirmed case of coronavirus in the US. The first death in the US occurred on Feb 29th. We were worried and kept a close watch on the news stories but little changed in our daily lives. We camped with friends, shared meals, and worked on projects. We discussed what we would do in the event of a shutdown and decided to avoid large cities. On March 15 we went shopping and stocked up a little more than normal. The only things missing from the store were toilet paper and hand sanitizer.
   Since then we’ve been isolating as much as possible. We boondocked for several weeks with a friend in Quartzsite. All of us knew where the others had been and weren’t worried about exposing each other but now that the virus has become so wide spread we are taking many more precautions. We’ve moved to Pahrump and are boondocking with two more friends but sharing food, visiting inside, and getting closer than 6 feet are all taboo. Trips to town are kept to a minimum and I made Tony a mask.
   We went through Las Vegas on our way from Quartzsite to Pahrump just to drive down the deserted Strip. We were surprised at how many people in the rest of the city seemed to be going about business as usual. The stores that weren’t closed were doing a good business and people were taking few precautions.
   We’ll probably stay in Pahrump until it’s too hot and then we’re planning on moving to other dispersed camping areas on BLM land and staying in Nevada if possible because it’s so rural that the chances of catching the virus are at a minimum. In the meantime our life on the road is probably easier than it would be if we lived in a house - we’re camping with people we like, we have a nice view of the snow-covered mountains, the weather has been pretty good, we have strong internet, and we’re close to supplies.

   Plus wild horses in our camp!
   Better than the snake who visited us in Quartzsite!

                                Stay safe wherever you are!

9 comments:

  1. Good picture of the rattlesnake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness, what a mask! (love it) You guys probably are in a good place, considering what the rest of the world is enduring. Good friends, wild horses and a great view, plus decent weather = stay at home! We are also fortunate here in our small town, but it is very unsettling to see photos of its empty streets! How will this end ... unknown. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,stay safe because there isn't anything else we can do but wait it out.

      Delete
  3. This virus has been around for longer then we know I have lung disease at the end of November started getting a fever short of breath went to the hospital what is intensive care on a BiPAP machine for 9 days told me I had Rhino disease which is basically the common cold went home within a week was back in the hospital oxygen level had dropped to 72 on BiPAP and extensive care for 12 days told me I had influenza a after being in the hospital for 2 days they came in and told me I had pneumonia also after 12 days sent me home within two days it happened again back in the hospital for another nine days on BiPAP machine and I'm not back to normal yet still on oxygen full-time they weren't testing for Coronavirus yet but I had never been in the hospital before with this lung disease and I've had it for five years makes me believe that I had the Coronavirus and as soon as I get to test to check and see if you have had it I will be finding out for sure I met you and your husband and quartzite the winter of 2013 I have been reading your blog got a new computer because my other one crashed and could never find your blog but today I stumbled on it again thank God hope all is well with you guys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I'm so glad you are feeling better! That sounds like it was very scary.
      Give me a few hints about how we met in Quartzsite so I can remember who you are.:)

      Delete
    2. ...and next time you post something, please use a period or two now and then so that we're not gasping for breath midway along. :)

      Delete