Saturday, January 25, 2014

Kennedy Space Center

n
  Admission to the Space Center is expensive at $50.00 per person plus a parking fee but it’s a full day of very varied activities – a bus tour of the launching sites, two IMAX movies, a live slide show by a retired astronaut, a simulated shuttle launch ride, and many exhibits inside and outside of rockets, space suits and other equipment. Included in the price is admission to the Astronaut Hall of Fame  which must be used within seven days of your visit to the Space Center. Plan on spending the entire day at the center. We spent six hours and didn’t see it all.
          127
  The grounds of the center are accessible. The IMAX theaters are accessible with a choice of seating on the lowest level or up one level by using a lift. Other theaters have seating in the first level only which is a little too close. The buses all have wheelchair lifts. Visitors who need to use the lift are given a yellow wristband and are loaded, along with their party, before the other passengers. The simulated shuttle ride is accessible if you are able to transfer. Visit this building even if you don’t go on the shuttle ride because it also houses an actual shuttle that flew in space 33 times. We missed all of this because of the poorly designed visitor guide that contains little information about the exhibits.

  Parking for RVs is very close to the entrance.  Center
28.52138, -80.68209
181157
florida1

6 comments:

  1. That's one spot I'd love to see...I was always so glued to the tv whenever there was a liftoff. I feel so lazy compared to you checking out sights...you sure know how to travel in style. I need to get out more...Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Space Center is definitely worth visiting. If it wasn't so expensive we'd go back for another day because we missed so much - maybe next time!

      We are a little restless - :-D but it seems like we're busier than we actually are because of the way I post each thing individually.

      Hope you get some warm weather and sunshine up there in Alabama!

      Delete
  2. Hello I found you!!! Thanks for commenting on my blog, I was really needing a good comment when you made yours! I want to see a lot of Florida and especially the space center. Wish I could have seen the launch of the shuttles back when they were going up. Your blog is great for me, true I can walk on my prosthetic leg but you have to ration your steps so you can get thru the day. Plus sometimes I have a skin breakdown on my stump(residual appendage acvording to the pros) I say stump. Looking forward to exploring your blog. Love the maps, what a wonderful resource!!! Have a great day, Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bill! Thanks for coming over to see my blog. :-) and thanks for the kind words. Every state that we've visited has interesting things to see and do so we take our time and just putter along but Florida sure is nice in the winter.

    I noticed that you bought a bicycle with a motor. I wonder if would be possible for you to use that on many of the trails where bicycles aren't normally permitted. We have friends that use Segways because they have trouble walking. They can take them a lot of different places because the Segways are mobility devices for them.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen I am hoping the ebike will be accepted sometimes since I am going to leave the electric wheelchair at home this time. Havr yall bern to Brookgreen Gardens in Myrtle Beach/Murrels Inlet Sc? Its right up your alley of things it serms yall like to do. Be safe, Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We stopped at Brookgreen in December during the "Nights of a Thousand Candles" festival. It was beautiful! We spent the night and the next day at Huntington Beach State Park, a really nice park with flat roads and good boardwalks, wonderful for wheelchairs. We'll be back for another visit to both the garden and the park!

      Delete