Sunday, June 24, 2012

Green Ridge State Forest–Dispersed Camping

013
   Green Ridge takes an unusual approach to dispersed camping. One hundred primitive campsites are scattered throughout the forest. Each has a table and a fire ring within a small clearing. Unfortunately there’s a $10.00 a night fee which must be paid before setting up camp and the only place to pay is at the  ranger station at exit 64 of I-68. Registering and paying on line would be a lot easier. Pictured above is #1 campsite which is just minutes north of I-68 on 15 Mile Creek Road. We took a short ride to check out some of the other sites. #1 is pretty nice but a RV larger than ours might have a hard time maneuvering between the trees,  #2  is on a slope,  #3 looks to be excellent, #4 looks good too and is a little less forested than the previous ones. MAP of the campsites.

  None of the sites are accessible but the ground is hard packed so rolling easy.

  The road is in good condition, a combination of chip seal, maintained gravel and asphalt pavement. The road is one lane most of the way with pullouts for passing oncoming traffic. Some of the sites will accommodate larger RVs.  Forest
39.6858, -78.45378
maryland1

3 comments:

  1. Just discovered your blog and am enjoying going through some of your older posts. Especially love your interactive maps!
    I have a question. I love (love) the little "mini map" that you put on each post to show where you are in that state. Would you mind sharing how you create them?
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nina! I've been enjoying reading your blog too. I have to go through your posts and mark some of the beautiful places that you go on the maps!

    The little mini maps are pretty easy to make. I have a old clip art disc downloaded on my computer that happened to have all of the state maps so I just use that. Some of them are a little misshapen but they work okay. I also have a simple photo editing program that I use to put the state names on the maps. I keep them in layers so that I can move the name out of the way if needed.

    The location dot is put on with the photo program. Merge the layers , save as a Jpeg and post on the blog.

    I use LiveWriter so this next part might be a little different if you're posting directly to your blog. If you want the maps to be clickable and open up a larger map with the location , click on the link symbol on the large map and copy the first link. Right click on the little map and click on hyperlink and paste.

    Happy travels! Hope Paul is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a bunch for the info! I use Photoshop so I understand the flow. I'll have to look around for some clip art now. Cheers!
    Nina

    ReplyDelete