Saturday, October 24, 2020

Davis Memorial

    As a tribute to his wife after her death (or as rumor has it - to spend all the money they had saved together so that her family would not inherit anything when he died), John Davis built an elaborate memorial in the Mount Hope Cemetery, outside the little Kansas town of Hiawatha. Ten statues of John and Sarah Davis in different stages of life are surrounded by a high marble and granite wall. Sarah is missing from the last depiction of John with an empty chair beside him signifying her death in 1930.  John died in 1947 at 92 years old. The people of Hiawatha were angry that John spent so much money, estimated at $200,000, on the memorial when he could have funded community projects such as a hospital or swimming pool. Very few attended his funeral services.
     
The wall is so high that it’s impossible to see much from a seated position.

There’s a pull out adjacent to the memorial where RVs can be parked. Memorial  39.84913, -95.51598

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm...that was a lot of money back then. No children, and he did not like his in-laws I guess. Now days, he would have just bought a Prevost and driven off into the sunset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that would have been a better use of the money!

      Delete
  2. sorry if you get this twice---having trouble with email...

    Hi Karen and Tony!!

    Oh my! You probably don't remember me, but we talked by email (or maybe your blog?) years ago, and I'm so excited that I just rediscovered your blog tonight!! I can’t find any record on my computer or emails, so maybe our correspondence was all on the blog.

    And also exciting.....Hiawatha KS is about 15 mi east of us, so a couple months ago, you passed very near to us! Wish I'd caught this sooner---I would have extended an invitation to you to visit. We're are considering purchasing a motorhome in 2021 and would love to talk to you again. I don't remember when we last visited, but back in 2012-ish we had a motorhome Big Bertha; she is now long gone but we are getting the travel bug again! :) We have spent the past 6 winters in the Phoenix area, but we’re putting our little house down there on the market and the “plan” is to use the funds to possibly get a new motorhome. I’ve actually been doubting that we’ll ever be able to do the motorhome thing again, but discovering your blog again has renewed my
    interest….a timely discovery, I’d say!

    Take care, stay safe, and thank you so much for your amazing travel guide for us wheelchair travelers!

    Candy Surdez (hubby: Daryl)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Candy, sorry I didn't answer sooner! I just noticed your comment in "waiting approval" section.Please contact me by email. The link is on the bottom of the column on the right.
      I hope everything works out for you and perhaps we'll see each other on the road! :-)

      Delete