Saturday, May 2, 2020

The International Car Forest of the Last Church

   Starting in 2002 and working until 2011, Mark Rippie and Chad Sorg planted forty cars, trucks, and buses in the desert on the outskirts of the tiny semi-ghost town of Goldfield, Arizona. The two friends and artists used backhoes and trucks to leverage the vehicles in place and then invited people to create art on the metal surfaces. Unfortunately, everyone isn’t talented and spray-painted names have obliterated some of the best art.


      
   
   Most of the vehicles are in a flat area surrounded by hills which is accessible with assistance. It’s possible to drive close enough to view most of the vehicles.
   The road to the Car Forest is dirt with steep sections. It looks like it gets very muddy when wet. We did not have problems with our 25 foot RV but driving on the roads with large vehicles is not recommended. Forest  37.70062, -117.23147

6 comments:

  1. In college I took both an art appreciation class and a comparative religion class, and I don't recall The International Car Forest of the Last Church being covered in either one. I was robbed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I visited I wondered if I could get away with boondocking there. I guess if my van had been graffitied I could've blended in unnoticed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All you have to do is ask.I think people at the RTR will be happy to graffiti it for you. :-D

      Delete
  3. I dunno, I believe, I'll pass on this one! :-)

    ReplyDelete